Why Is Ceramic Cookware Expensive?
Ceramic is one of the most expensive types of cookware. It is durable, easy to clean, and comes with a nonstick cooking surface.
This rare combination, among other benefits of ceramic cookware, is the reason behind their high cost. There are two distinct types of ceramic cookware.
One is 100% ceramic cookware, made from natural minerals such as quartz sand and clay. The minerals are baked in a kiln and specially glazed.
The second type of ceramic cookware is ceramic–coated cookware. It is not 100% ceramic. The core of this cookware is made of metal (usually aluminum), and its outer part is ceramic–coated.
This outer ceramic coat is nonstick and is made from natural sand-derived silicon through a process called sol-gel.
The ceramic coating ensures even distribution of heat; hence the food is evenly cooked. Ceramic cookware is free from heavy metal and as well as Teflon.
However, ceramic cookware is expensive because of the following reasons:
- Numerous colors
Ceramic-coated cookware comes in a wide variety of colors, unlike stainless steel cookware, where there are only a few colors you can choose from.
Some of the colors you can choose from are; sleek black, cream, navy, gray, lavender, blue, soft pink, burgundy, yellow, and a few other options.
- Nonstick surface
Unlike cookware materials such as stainless steel, ceramic cookware, ceramic cookware is usually nonstick.
While cooking, food doesn’t stick on the inner surface, making it easy to clean.
It is ideal while preparing dishes such as pancakes, eggs, fish, and sauté vegetables because they tend to cling to the cookware’s surface.
- Food safety
Ceramic is non-reactive to acidic foods such as vinegar, citrus fruits, and even tomatoes. While using ceramic cookware, you can use any ingredients.
Some cookware such as carbon steel or even copper is reactive to acidic ingredients as they react with the cooking surface and leak dangerous chemicals and even metal into the food, which may be harmful.
- Quality Material
Ceramic cookware is made of minerals (such as quartz sand and clay), making them a little bit expensive compared to stainless steel cookware.
But they are high quality and pieces one should have in the kitchen for easy cooking.
- Low maintenance
Ceramic cookware requires very low maintenance, unlike cookware made of cast iron, aluminum, and copper.
All you need is some warm soapy water and a sponge, and your cookware will be as clean as new.
Why buy ceramic cookware despite being expensive?
- Ceramic cookware is high quality and therefore worth paying for it. You will find a wide range of ceramic pots and pans, and you can choose what falls within your budget.
- When using ceramic cookware, you save a lot on heat. Your food will cook better on low heat than when using cast iron or aluminum cookware. Knowing that you save on power costs and still cook fast, you should not hesitate to pay for these expensive pots and pans.
- You cooking oil and butter last for a long time because ceramic cookware comes with a nonstick cooking surface.
What should you be aware of regarding ceramic cookware?
- Ceramic cookware can lose its nonstick qualities a lot faster if not appropriately maintained. To make this property last a little bit longer, you are required to avoid overheating, cleaning with a dishwasher, and cooking with metallic utensils.
- Ceramic items can chip or break easily, and you must therefore handle them carefully. If the ceramic cookware’s outer surface is painted, it tends to chip when rubbed against a rough surface. So, be gentle with your ceramic cookware
- Ceramic cookware also tends to warp when exposed to high temperatures. Control your heat accordingly, or use low and medium heat levels.
- Also, even though ceramic cookware is cheaper than stainless steel, it is a lot more expensive than Teflon nonstick cookware.
You will hear people complaining about the high of ceramic cookware. But if you look closer at the quality and benefits that they bring into your kitchen, they are worth every single coin you pay.
Besides, they do not stain easily, and you wash them effortlessly. Just get into the market and buy the brand that you like most.