What Is a Straight Edge Spatula Used For ?
Spatulas may appear the same, but they have different features and uses. The straight edge spatula is one of them and comes with a flat and straight edge.
It may be made of metal, silicone, or wood, but the common ones are metallic. The main uses of this spatula are to frost cakes, measure ingredients, scrap off foods, and turning foods on a pan.
A straight edge spatula is available in various designs, but it has a long handle in most cases. The handles are made of different materials, including rubber and wood, to choose the grip you feel most comfortable using.
Uses of a straight edge spatula
- Straight edge spatula helps in frosting cakes or spreading toppings over the food being prepared, for example, cookies. The slightly flexible blade aids in applying and making toppings appear smooth.
- Helps in measuring foods-when you need to level off the dry ingredients in a measuring cup or spoon; you can use the straight-edge spatula. The flat blade helps in scrapping off the excess food leaving you with the right amount.
- It also works as a turner. You can use the spatula to flip pancakes, hamburger patty so that the other side can cook. A straight edge spatula removes cookies from a pan.
Factors to consider when buying straight edge spatula
- When buying a product, it is always important to consider the material. Stainless steel straight spatula with either a rubber or wood handle is the best option.
- The strength of the blade. A thick blade tends to be the best as it glides smoothly over the frosting or butter. The thin blade tends to get stuck on the frosting ruining the whole decoration.
- Consider getting a spatula with a well-shaped handle, which is comfortable to hold even for more extended periods. A vital tip to remember here is to ensure your straight edge spatula is flexible enough when using it.
Pros of a straight edge spatula
- Long-lasting-straight edge spatulas are made of durable stainless steel. When you buy this kind of spatula, it will serve you for a long time before deciding to buy another one.
- Stainless steel spatulas are affordable in comparison to other materials of the same level. The spatulas range in prices depending on the size and quality you want, but the difference is minimal, making it more affordable.
- Cleaning and maintaining straight edge spatulas are easy as they are made from steel. It is not prone to rusting or peeling, hence no need to season the material. For sparkling clean spatulas, soak them in hot water and hand-wash.
How to care for the spatula
- Always hand-wash your spatula with warm soapy water. You can also clean it in the dishwasher, but it may reduce your spatula’s sharpness and overall lifespan.
- When not in use, ensure the spatula is dry.
If you have been wondering how to use your straight edge spatula, now you know how to apply this kitchen item and how to take care of it.
It is an essential item you should have in your kitchen.