Saucepans are undoubtedly one of the most essential items in the kitchen and they are available in various sizes. Do you need a large saucepan?
Table of contents
What is a Large Saucepan?
Aside from the obvious that a large sauce pan is a big saucepan, there are some fairly standard measurements used in the industry.
The standard size for a large saucepan is about 20 cm (about 8 inches) in diameter. This is measured from the inside of one particular side to to the inside of the opposite side. Therefore, the wall thickness is not included in this measurement.
Volume (liters / quarts) is a more common way to compare saucepans. When volume is concerned, a typical large saucepan (8” / 20 cm) can easily hold about 3.8 liters (4 quarts) of liquid.
Less commonly, there are jumbo large saucepans that measure approximately 8.6” (22 cm) in diameter. Such an oversized large saucepan can hold about 4.25 liters (4.5 quarts).
Anything larger than this is typically referred to as a stockpot, pasta pot, or casserole pot.
I have found that a particular type of saucepan, the heavy bottom saucepan, is used almost exclusively by professional chefs. I wrote a complete article on heavy bottom saucepans here.
The Large Saucepan I Use The Most
My favorite 4 quart saucepan is the Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 4-Quart Cover 4 Qt Saucepan.
This modern design takes heavy bottom saucepans to the next level by beefing up the sidewalls as well. The heat distribution is excellent which is why I choose this large saucepan every time I make a roux or anything that can easily burn.
Cuisinart’s unique “cool grip handle” makes using this saucepan safe and easy.
One of my favorite features is that the construction is stainless steel, which is 100% dishwasher safe. If your saucepan gets burnt on food, learn how to clean it here.
The Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 4-Quart Cover 4 Qt Saucepan also includes a lifetime warranty, so you can feel secure in your purchase.
- EXCEPTIONAL DESIGN: professional Triple Ply Construction features a core of pure aluminum bonded to a stainless interior. Heat Surround Technology allows for even heat distribution along the bottom and sidewalls of the cookware
- PREMIUM COOKING: stainless steel cooking surface does not discolor, react with food or alter flavors. Measurement markings for ease of use, drip free pouring, and flavor lock lid
- EXCEPTIONAL HANDLING: cool grip handle is solid stainless steel riveted stick handles that stay cool on the stove top and provide a safe a solid grip
- CLEAN UP: dishwasher safe for an effortless clean up
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Refer to user manual for troubleshooting steps and questions surrounding warranty policies – this product is BPA free
Official Cuisinart Video: How to care for MultiClad Cookware:
Saucepans are critical to most chefs and most folks who cook at home or for fun. In general, I think that stainless steel, heavy bottom saucepans are most likely to make cooking easier and to last a very long time.
Last update on 2023-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API