Spatula versus Turner
Possessing the right cooking tools makes your cooking time easy and fun. Whether you are a novice or seasoned chef, you will need a spatula and turner.
Table of contents
- Spatula versus Turner
- Turner vs Spatula
- Top 2 Turners
- Top 2 Spatulas
- What Do Professional Chefs Look for in a Turner
- What Do Professional Chefs Look for in a Spatula
The first thing to know about spatulas and turners is that there is no clear definition of what a spatula is. Or what a turner is. Heck, one of my favorite turner sets, which is available below, is called a spatula set by UniCook, the folks who make it!
Related: Fish Slice vs Spatula
Turner vs Spatula
Below in this article are two images, one of a spatula set and one of a turner. Each is captioned with what they are most commonly known as.
When it comes to “errors” in identifying a turner vs spatula, the main issue is that turners are often called spatulas. Spatulas are very rarely called turners.
A spatula is a tool used in different ways in the kitchen, including scraping bowls and skillets, as well as mixing food.
Spatulas are available in a wide variety of materials (metal, silicone, wood) and the material of construction may dictate what you use them for.
Related: Saucepan vs Skillet
The turner cooking tool, on the other hand, is used for basically one thing: turning food. Or flipping food. From burgers to pancakes, you probably flip/turn them with a turner.
Many turners have slots. Usually the slots are to allow grease to drain as food is moved from skillet or pan to the plate. Some, in addition to the slots have a special shape and are used for fish.
Top 2 Turners
Mercer Culinary Hell’s Handle Fish Turner
- Innovative high heat-resistant handle absorbs 50% less heat, staying cool to the touch
- Dual-textured finish for extra grip and slip resistance
- Sanitary sealed handle design
- Precision ground, highest quality Japanese stainless steel blade for ideal combination of flexibility and stiffness
Unicook 2 Pack Flexible Silicone Spatula
- 2 Pack-including Large and Small spatula. Sturdy, durable construction with a comfortable nonslip handle and silicone head bonded to a flexible stainless-steel core. Ideal for flipping eggs, burgers, crepes and more.
- Thin, flexible silicone head with an angled edge that glides easily beneath food without damaging it.
- Spatula head is made of silicone, heat resistant to 600°F.
- Great for coated & non-stick cookware, bakeware and electrics.
- Easy to clean, either by hand or dishwasher.
Top 2 Spatulas
DI ORO Seamless Series 3 Piece Silicone Spatula Set
- ONLY THE BEST – Each piece in the DI ORO 3-Piece Seamless Silicone Spatula Set is made with BPA Free and LFGB Certified Silicone. Built to withstand the heat, each spatula is heat-resistant up to 600°F, which means you will never melt your favorite spatula.
- CLEANS EASY, SEAMLESS ONE-PIECE DESIGN – You will be happy to know that your Award-Winning DI ORO Seamless Series Spatulas are dishwasher safe or can be quickly and effortlessly cleaned by hand. The one-piece seamless silicone design prevents buildup of food and grime, which allows for safe and healthy cooking.
- VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE – Each spatula is designed with enough flexibility to conform to bowls if scraping, strong enough to handle the toughest batters if mixing, and creatively shaped to easily handle a multitude of tasks in your kitchen. The ergonomically designed and velvety smooth handle will fit like a glove in the palm of your hand.
- THE PERFECT COMPLEMENT TO NON-STICK COOKWARE - Whether cooking the perfect scrambled eggs or sautéing a medley of summer vegetables, you can rest assured that our non-stick pro-grade silicone will not scratch your expensive cookware.
- OUR PROMISE, OUR FOREVER WARRANTY – Unlike other brands aiming to just sell a product to their customers, at DI ORO we aim to provide years of lasting memories and positive experiences in your home for you and your family. Our customers mean everything to us, so we have set the bar with our Forever Warranty and second to none customer service. We will replace any damaged or defective product for free or provide a full refund if you are not satisfied with your purchase, forever.
HOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set Kitchen Utensils
- [ HIGH QUALITY ] : 100% made in Food Grade Silicone Material. Low Carbon and Environmentally Friendly Non-toxic, lead free Odourless. Smooth flexible thin edges, No scratches, No damage for your pots and pans.
- [ SEAMLESS ONE PIECE DESIGN] ：Seamless one piece design compact and sturdy ，easy to clean ,and Non-Stick ,Soft Handle for better grip ,Noiseless & Harmless ,Perfect for baking ,cooking and mixing etc.,
- [ DURABLE& HEAT RESISTANT ] : Temperature Resistant -104℉~600℉(-40℃~315℃). The average heat resistance of a typical silicone spatula is between 400 to 600 degrees. Anything less isn’t recommended. Also can be as a good Gift .Quality Life ,Safety First .
- [ PACKAGE ] 1 set including 5 pieces ,1 x Medium Spatula Spreader / Knife 9.53*0.94''(24.21*2.39cm),1 x Large Spoon Style Spatula 10.8*2.28 ''(27.43*5.79cm),1 x Large Spatula 10.8*2.16''(27.43*5.49cm）,1 x Small Spatula 7.95*1.57''(20.19*3.99cm),1 x Small Spoon Style Spatula 7.95*1.77''(20.19*4.5cm ) ,Different sizes to meet different needs .
- [ EASY TO CLEAN ] Dishwasher Safe, perfect for your nonstick cookware.
What Do Professional Chefs Look for in a Turner
According to most chefs, the best turner should be slim and flexible. This is what makes it easy to leverage it under different foods for a flip or for serving. Of course, it needs to be able to withstand high heat
What Do Professional Chefs Look for in a Spatula
Silicone spatulas have nearly replaced all other materials among professional chefs. Their durability, ability to handle high temperatures, and, maybe best of all, their ability to be cleaned in a dishwasher, make silicone the clear winner among chefs for spatulas.
Last update on 2022-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API