Can You Make Banana Bread Without Baking Soda?
Banana bread is delicious and can be eaten at any time of the day. The bread is moist and viewed as a type of cake due to its texture, thanks to the mashed bananas.
The bananas used are ripe and therefore sweet. In fact, the best bananas for your banana bread should be streaked with black or brown spots; the darker the banana, the better.
Overripe bananas pave the way to classic banana bread; this way, your bread is bound to taste even better the next day.
When used in banana bread, baking soda produces carbon dioxide, which helps it rise when baking. Baking soda is the perfect option when using acidic ingredients in your baking.
If you don’t use baking soda in baking, your banana bread won’t rise, and you’ll end up preparing a plate of banana rubber, but the good news is that you can substitute the baking soda.
Substitutes for baking soda in banana bread
When making banana bread without baking soda, you can use baking powder.
This ingredient consists of sodium bicarbonate and is mixed with acid. It has leavening power though as strong as baking soda.
When using it to make banana bread, you have to use more than you would when using baking soda.
Besides, you have to use the batter immediately to prevent the action from frizzling out.
Yeast is an excellent substitute for baking soda. It can be used in dried form or fresh, but you can only buy a dried version of yeast in most stores because it has a long-shelf life.
However, you have to use more moisture than when using baking soda. Keep the dough in a warm spot, even under some sunshine.
Allow the dough to rest for about one hour or until it rises.
The only drawback of yeast when making banana bread is that you have to wait longer for the dough to rise to its double size.
Baking powder reacts faster, making yeast the last option when making banana bread.
Another great alternative for baking soda when baking banana bread is self-rising flour. It contains baking powder and salt, making it suitable for baking bread.
A simple recipe to make banana bread
- Prepare your bananas using a preferred method: smash, pound or blend them.
- Gather the ingredients you wish to include in your banana bread. These ingredients should consist of;
- ½ cup butter softened to room temperature1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 to 3 eggs
- Four mashed bananas
- One teaspoon vanilla
- One and half cup of wheat flour
- A teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Topper: thin strips of two bananas
- cinnamon sugar (OPTIONAL) made the ratio of cinnamon and sugar should 1:1
- Cream together your sugar and butter using a whisk or in a mixer
- Add your vanilla, eggs and bananas and mix until evenly combined.
- Using a separate mixing bowl, add flour, cinnamon, and salt until evenly distributed, then add your creamed mixture and mix to get an even paste.
- Pour your batter into a prepared loaf pan and add the desired topping, although (optional)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 35 degrees F for 55 minutes- 1 hour.
In every bread recipe, including the bread banana one, an acidic ingredient reacts with baking soda.
This requires you to use neutral ingredients to balance the taste of your bread instead of acidic ones only.
For example, instead of using buttermilk in banana bread, use regular milk.