Garlic is one of the oldest spicy plants with many health benefits used in different parts of the world.
Table of contents
- Best tool for mincing garlic
- Top Mincing Garlic Tools – Reviews
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best tool for mincing garlic
Garlic is an essential ingredient that not only improves the taste of your food but also may have benefits such as lowering the risk of heart disease, lowering cholesterol levels, and controlling high blood pressure control.
However, preparing it is not easy because it requires peeling and then slicing, chopping, or mincing. Cutting garlic is challenging because of the uneven shape of the cloves, not to mention the odor that stays on your fingers. Luckily, it is possible to buy a minced garlic tool that makes garlic easier to cook with.
If you are in a hurry, and don’t want to read the reviews, here is my vote for the best tool for mincing garlic:
- Cleverly designed multi-function garlic tool for crushing and mincing
- Simply place on top of garlic clove and rock back and forth
- Scoop out crushed garlic for use in your recipes
- Stainless Steel material eliminates garlic odor from hands
- Dishwasher safe
Top Mincing Garlic Tools – Reviews
Alpha Grillers Mincer and Peeler Combo
- Two tools for the price of one – garlic mincer and peeler
- Effortless rolling motion to peel garlic cloves
- Made of durable non reactive materials
- Dishwasher safe
- Ergonomic design
- Mincer is perfect for unpeeled and peeled cloves
The Alpha Griller garlic mincer is made of stainless steel. The heavy-duty 304 stainless steel is rustproof, making it durable and safe to use in the kitchen.
If you are after sliced garlic or whole cloves, then you can use the handy silicon garlic peeler tool to remove the skins. You can peel the garlic before using the garlic press, but it is not necessary.
The Alpha Grillers device is tough enough to use with unpeeled cloves. Just put the garlic clove inside the chamber, and give it a good squeeze. You will get finely minced, crushed garlic, and the peel will stay inside the chamber.
When you are finished, the perforated portion of the press can flip out so that it is easy to remove the garlic skins with the included cleaning brush. You can then rinse with water or clean the minced garlic tool in the dishwasher.
Since the Alpha Grillers Garlic press is made of stainless steel which won’t retain odors, you can use it to crush or mince other ingredients such as nuts and ginger without mixing up the flavors.
- Heavy and durable construction
- Comes with a cleaning brush
- Includes silicone garlic peeler
- Large chamber
- Can be hard to squeeze when the chamber is filled to capacity
- Garlic comes out minced as well as mashed
Orblue Garlic Press Mincer
- Solid construction made of 304 stainless steel
- Mincer for both unpeeled and peeled cloves
- Easy to wash with a chamber that flips out
- Multi-purpose garlic mincer
- Silicone garlic peeler included
- Cleaning Brush included
- Available in a variety of colors
The Orblue garlic press mincer is well constructed and durable. It is available in several colors, including red, black, silver, and an iridescent blue color named “Zestfully Colored.”
As will the Alpha Grillers previously discussed, the Orblue minced garlic tool can handle both unpeeled and peeled garlic. However a silicone peeler sleeve is also included, if you would like to peel the garlic beforehand; or if you wish to have whole peeled cloves.
Besides garlic, you can also use the garlic press to mince ginger, and you will end up with a smooth paste that is easy to incorporate into your recipes.
The mincer’s large chamber accommodates several cloves simultaneously and can crush large chunks of garlic. Use the minced garlic tool with full chamber, however, will require you to use more force to squeeze the press.
Once you are done using the garlic press, the mincing basket hinges open for easy cleaning, using the small brush that is included. You can clean it in a dishwasher or simply rinse it thoroughly under running water.
- Easy mincing without spreading the garlic odor you’re your hands
- The mincing basket is large
- Made of durable stainless steel
- Dishwasher safe
- Squeezing may require two hands.
Oxo Good Grips Garlic Press
- Large chamber – enough for several garlic cloves
- An efficient pattern for maximum garlic mincing
- Strong construction of die-cast zinc
- Comfortable and soft handle
- Ergonomic design
- Self Cleaning
OXO good grip garlic mincer is one of the easiest kitchen tools to use.
It is easy on your hands and comes with a comfortable, slightly arched handle, which makes crushing the cloves effortless.
The mincer is made of strong chrome-plated, die-cast zinc, and is dishwasher safe.
The chamber of the Oxo garlic mincer can easily hold several garlic cloves.
One of the best features of the Oxo Good Grips Garlic Press is that its cleaner is build right in. Once you are done crushing garlic, you can open up the press all the way and turn it back on itself to push out all the residual garlic fibers.
Another reason to like this garlic press is because Oxo, the company that manufactures it ,has made a commitment to the environment by supportin 1% for the Planet.
- Comfortable to use
- Solid construction
- Self Cleaning
- Can crush unpeeled garlic
- Oxo spends 1% of annual sales to support environmental nonprofits
The handles of the press may detach after being washed in the dishwasher. If this happens, one option is to wash the unit without the handles and then put them back on after the device is dry. Alternatively, you could hand wash the garlic press.
Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press
- Ergonomic handles
- Powerful lever
- Beveled holes that are finely cut for easy mincing
- High-quality stainless steel
- Swiss design
The Kuhn Rikon Epicurean garlic mincer requires less effort to crush garlic compared to other manual mincers.
It is constructed using solid, high-quality stainless steel, making it durable and keeping it looking new during many uses and cleanings.
This versatile kitchen tool can be used to mince ginger and nuts too. Also, you do not have to peel your garlic as it separates the paste and the peels.
This mincer’s ergonomic design with unique curved handle and lever system makes it comfortable and easy to use.
It comes with a flip-out basket that makes cleaning a breeze. You need not worry about reaching hidden corners. When you are finished, simply unfold the garlic mincer and then fold it backwards, and section with the screen pops out for easy cleaning. You can use the back of a knife to scrape away the residue. After than you can rinse it under running water or wash it in the dishwasher.
Additionally, since the Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press is stainless steel, you can rub your fingers on it to remove garlic odors.
- Swivel design for easy cleaning
- Dishwasher safe
- Heavy-duty stainless steel construction
- Beveled holes for easy mincing
- A strong lever makes it easy to squeeze
- If you fill the chamber with garlic cloves, it can be hard to squeeze
- Elegant, one piece design
- Easy rocker motion
- Stainless steel removes garlic odor from hands
Many garlic presses claim that they make minced garlic, but what they actually produce is crushed and pureed garlic. Not so with the Joseph Joseph garlic mincing tool.
The Joseph Joseph minced garlic tool is is a unique in its design. It looks like a work of modern art, and it is incredibly functional besides. To use the tool, turn it so that the center portion with the holes is the lowest point on the tool. Then center the holes on top of a peeled piece of garlic. Then using one hand on each handle, gently rock back an forth while pressing down with even pressure. You will rewarded, not with pureed garlic, but with a fine mince. You can use a teaspoon to scoop the minced garlic right into your dish of food. Also, since this tool is not dependent on squeezing and grip strength, the joseph Joseph minced garlic tool is a great device for those with arthritis.
Cleaning the minced garlic tool can be as simple as rinsing it under running water. However, unlike other garlic presses, it does not have its own cleaning tool. As a result, you may need to use toothpicks or the point of a knife to remove any stubborn garlic pieces that stick in the holes. While I always have toothpicks in my kitchen, you may not, so I consider this a negative. You also have to remember to apply gentle rocking pressure right from the start. If you press too hard too quickly, the garlic clove may slide out from underneath the device.
Furthermore, the Joseph Joseph minced garlic tool is made from stainless steel. Not only does this make it totally dishwasher safe, but rubbing your fingers on the stainless steel removes the odor from your skin.
- No squeezing action need – good for arthritic hands
- No more mushy garlic – makes tiny slivers
- Removes garlic smell from hands
- Dishwasher safe
- Garlic may slide out from under tool
- Two hands needed to operate
- Does not come with a dedicated cleaning tool
Joseph Joseph Conclusion
Despite the lack of dedicated cleaning tool, I find the design and functionality of this tool spectacular. In my opinion, Joseph Joseph makes the best tool for mincing garlic.
Honorable Mention – Rosle Garlic Press
With its unique lever action, and easy to clean design, this garlic press is also one to look consider:
- Made of Hygienic 18/10 stainless steel that stays neutral to taste
- 48 offset conical holes with a spacious loading chamber that can handle unpeeled garlic cloves easily as well as peeled ginger
- Easier to crush garlic because weighted handles provide added leverage. Precision hinges allow force to be applied efficiently to the garlic.
- The fold-out sieve makes this garlic press easy to clean under running water and is dishwasher-dafe
Garlic flavor is distinct and cannot be substituted with any other herb. It is indispensable in so many dishes.
Related: Can you microwave garlic bread?
Some of the reasons that people don’t like to handle it is that transfers its odor to your hands, and the smell lingers there. Plus, the cloves are challenging to peel, and once peeled are small and slippery. They are not easy to cut with a knife, and they are especially challenging to mince.
However, with minced garlic tools readily available, it is easier than ever to cook with fresh garlic.
When choosing the garlic mincer to buy, consider how often you need to use, how many cloves you need to process at once, and whether or not you want to peel the cloves first.
Whether for restaurant or home use, you certainly want a durable tool.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I mince my garlic fast?
A garlic mincer (also called a garlic press) is the answer. Get yourself a quality mincer, and you will find it very effective when preparing your meals. You simply press the garlic clove through the openings of the device, and it is minced in an instant.
You can also use a knife if you don’t have a mincer, although it is a lot of work to cut the garlic into minced pieces.
If you are concerned about strong garlic flavor due to garlic press crushing the garlic, then seriously consider the Jospeh Joseph Garlic mincer.
How can I shell my garlic rapidly?
Here are three options:
- Use a silicone garlic peeler roller, like those that come with some of presses described above.
- Put the garlic in a bowl that has a lid and shake them vigorously for about 20 seconds. They will shell effortlessly.
- A third option is to lay the surface of a straight edged spatula or the flat blade of a chef’s knife over the garlic glove, and press down. The pressure will cause the clove to crush slightly, and the peel will then be easy to remove.
Is chopped and minced garlic the same?
There is a difference between chopped and minced garlic. How you choose to prepare your garlic between these methods also has a significant impact on your dish. Minced garlic is finer than chopped. Chopped garlic is when the cloves are cut into even pieces that are of about one half inch in length. Minced garlic is when the pieces are about one eighth inch in length.
Last update on 2022-07-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API