Are Wooden Spoons Dishwasher Safe?
No, Wooden spoons are not dishwasher safe. You do not want to ruin your wood spoons by tossing them in the dishwasher.
A dishwasher is a machine that cleans dishware and other cutlery in the kitchen; it helps you save time.
But, not all utensils should be put into the dishwasher, for example, wooden spoons are some of them.
The high heat and a lot of moisture in the dishwasher can splinter, warp and even break your spoons.
It is advisable that you hand wash wooden utensils in warm water, dry them with a towel, and leave to dry in the open air.
It is essential to differentiate utensils that can be cleaned by a dishwasher and those that cannot.
Reasons why wooden spoons are not cleaned in a dishwasher
Wooden utensils are an essential part of the kitchenware but cleaning those needs a lot of care.
Soaking wooden utensils in water is wrong as water seeps into the wood, destroying the protective layer, and eventually, it starts warping and may rot before breaking into pieces.
The high temperature on the already wet wood causes expansion resulting in a fragment and finally breaks.
The dishwasher detergent is also a significant threat to wooden spoons. It strips the wood of its oil, making it crack and distort.
Tips for cleaning wooden spoons
The dishwasher has simplified kitchen work, but it is not suitable for cleaning wooden utensils.
When cleaning wooden utensils, it is advisable to wash them under warm, soapy water using a sponge or nylon scrubbing.
Once they are clean, dry the wooden spoons using a dry towel to remove excess water and air dry them before storing.
Proper caring tips for wooden spoons
- Ensure your wooden spoons are completely dry before keeping them away. Air dry them thoroughly to prevent trapping water droplets in the wood, which over time causes the wood to crack.
- Clean your wooden utensils immediately after use. Soaking wooden dirty spoons overnights allows them to soak up the water, which causes warping. Additionally, food particles seep through the tiny cracks in the wood, causing the bacteria to proliferate.
- Treat your wooden spoons with mineral oil often. These oils are easily absorbed by the wood and make the utensils water repellant. They also give them a nice sheen covering them from cracking. It is advisable to use the approved mineral oils to avoid getting sick as some oils are harmful.
- Sandpaper rough spots on your wooden utensils. The wooden utensils are smooth, but after being used for long periods, they develop rough spots. Sandpapering the rough parts then rub mineral oils makes the wooden spoons as good as new.
- Wooden items are prone to developing smells. Getting rid of the odor should not worry you. One way to do it is to rub a half lemon over the surface and allow it to dry. Another way is mixing baking soda and water, then rub the resulting paste on the surface and leave it to dry.
- Wooden spoons are essential utensils in the kitchen. Proper care will ensure you enjoy the benefits it brings along.
- No matter how tempted you feel to throw your dirty wooden spoon in the dishwasher, resist and hand wash them.
You can only use dishwasher for your wooden spoons if you are ready to replace them.